“My daily job is to help move residents from their room to the dining room for dinner and then back up to their room after the meal. Once a month I perform Old Time music on my accordion for residents, their family members and friends. I thoroughly enjoy working with the residents; I get attached to the people and look forward to seeing them. Volunteering is an enlightening experience!” — Del Heins
Whether their stay here is for a short time or for many years, all of the residents at Pleasant View have one thing in common: They are a part of a community all its own.
As a volunteer, you will play a big part in making that community the best and most vibrant it can be. There are many ways you can contribute to the lives of our residents…
- BRING ON THE FUN! Never learned how to play Bridge or Canasta or Chess? There is sure to be a resident who can teach you how. Or bring your favorite board game and gather some players. Are sports more your style? Bring your sports ball of choice and play a gentle game of catch with residents who would love to share memories of their glory days as an athlete – and maybe give you some tips to enhance your game!
- CHAT IT UP! Visit with residents and hear their stories of times now past. No two people have witnessed history or lived life the same way, so learn about life through someone else’s eyes and share your experiences as well.
- BOOK LOVERS WELCOME! Bring in your favorite books and read to fellow book lovers. Or let a resident introduce you to his or her favorite works and authors. Gather some old friends and some new friends here at Pleasant View and begin an in-house book club. Prefer magazines and newspapers? Gather some residents to catch them up on the latest news or celebrity gossip. More of a viral internet video fan? Bring in your laptop or tablet and ask if residents would like to see the latest adorable or funny video that “all the kids are talking about.”
- TAKE A HIKE! Many residents are limited to wheelchairs for getting around, so volunteer to take a new friend for a walk around the facility or in the backyard garden.
- TABLE FOR 48! Put on your host/hostess hat and help serve meals to residents in Club 48, our community dining room.
- CALLING ALL GREEN THUMBS! Help to beautify our community by volunteering to care for our flowers and gardens. Or ask about opportunities to make our community even more vibrant.
- HAVE YOUR OWN IDEAS OF HOW TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE PLEASANT VIEW COMMUNITY? Thoughtful suggestions and innovative ways to positively impact the lives of our residents are always welcome!
Together we can enhance the lives of a generation that has given so much to their country and communities. With your help, Pleasant View will continue to be more than a place where those in need of care come to live, but a place where they come to live life!
To volunteer, submit the form below. We would love to have you join us!
“What I love about volunteering is seeing the residents. They are all very unique and special in their own ways. It is so much fun spending time with them…It was a very warm day and it was almost the 4th of July. I was on the back patio with some of the residents painting their nails. And one of the ladies asked as I was painting her nails, ‘How do they look?’ I replied back, ‘It looks like a twelve year old did them!’ All that resident could talk about is how I painted her nails.” –Ava Scace